March 13, 2017
PIERRE, S.D. – Gov. Dennis Daugaard this morning signed a package of bills which allow the sale of surplus lands owned by the state. The measures include lands and properties on the STAR Academy, State Veterans Home, and State Training School campuses.
“Though stewardship efforts such as these may seem run-of-the-mill during a busy legislative session, they are important,” Gov. Daugaard said. “We owe it to the taxpayers to keep the state’s footprint to a minimum, to avoid spending tax dollars on maintenance of unneeded facilities and to return these properties to the tax rolls when possible. It may be an unglamorous undertaking, but it’s a necessary one.”
The following surplus land bills were signed today:
· House Bill 1205 allows for the sale of unused property formerly belonging to Western Dakota Tech in Rapid City.
· House Bill 1206 allows for the sale of the former State Training School campus near Plankinton.
· House Bill 1207 authorizes the transfer of several vacant buildings and adjoining lands from the South Dakota Developmental Center to the city of Redfield.
· House Bill 1208 allows for the sale of underutilized buildings and land on the State Veterans Home campus in Hot Springs.
· House Bill 1209 allows for the sale of STAR Academy property near Custer.
· House Bill 1210 allows for the sale of South Dakota School for the Deaf property in Sioux Falls.
The bills do not require any sale, and provide for an appraisal process to ensure the state receives fair value for the property.
The proceeds from the sale of STAR Academy and Aurora Plains would be deposited in the DOC training school trust fund to support juvenile services. Proceeds from the Veterans Home and Western Dakota Tech land sales would go to the general fund. The bill pertaining to the South Dakota Developmental Center directs any profit to the SDDC trust fund. Proceeds from the sale of the School for the Deaf property would be deposited in a trust fund for the benefit of School for the Deaf programming.
Categories: South Dakota Politics