Did you know…
About every three hours, a person or vehicle is hit by a train in the U.S.
Most, if not all, of these accidents can be prevented.
What FRA is doing to improve railroad crossing safety
- Partnering with tech companies to add alerts of upcoming railroad crossings to map applications
- Testing intrusion detection technology to provide advanced warning to trains of a vehicle on tracks
- Working to develop information sharing to identify and target trouble spots
- Awarding nearly $10 million to help communities upgrade crossings where crude oil and energy products are transported
- Awarding $25 million for states to upgrade crossings
- Partnering with Operation Lifesaver, Inc. on rail safety education initiatives to empower drivers to make safe choices at crossings.